This mending topic is really interesting to me. Because of the level of energy , fabric memories and meanings I put into the initial quilt, I have a great emotional attachment. Then, as I use the quilt, touch it and look at it on my bed, I have even more of a connection. So when the quilt begins to enter into its end life I am sad. I mend far beyond what I probably should. Then, I cut it up and recycle it, to mixed results. I have one of my grandmother’s quilts that has another prettier but really worn quilt inside. I know that it was frugality that made her use the quilt as a batt, but I wonder if it was also an emotional thing. In any case, one of my goals in 2013 was to catch up on my mending and I just finished mending this quilt, which I call the fish quilt.
Now this quilt I made when I was working at the sewing machine store. That was one whole eighth grade boy ago. Or three jobs ago. In any case, this is a light weight summer quilt. When I was in college, I took a surface design class and the professor made a garbage can full of indigo dye. I knew that I would probably never have a chance to use indigo (and that has held true) so I took tons of fabric over and dipped it. The rectangles in the center, which unfortunately have faded (indigo fades very fast, think of jeans), were my samples for the class. I regretfully used a crappy grey fabric for the borders which is slowly decaying. So the red “fish” are actually patches. I added some more of these and then I rebound it and it is all mended. Aforementioned eighth grade boy was wrapped up in it last night.
Now, I had meant to mend Steve’s t-shirt quilt this month. It is a quilt that is beat the heck. I began to patch it, then realized that the back was so worn, it would be better to lay whole new back on. This t-shirt quilt is a contemporary of the fish quilt, but the fish quilt’s back is so much less worn. I was pretty broke when I made the fish quilt and I used a cotton/poly blend for the back. It is not as pretty but it certainly has worn so much better than the t-shirt quilt with a cotton quilting solid back. In any case, if the top was less worn, I would just reback it. However, it also needs considerable mending. So, I decided that I would remake the whole quilt since Steve still has a lot of feeling for it. I will eventually cut out the pieces that are still functional and use them in a new quilt for him. Since I have a large quilt in progress that I want to finish in the next few months, I don’t want to dive into another big project right now.