the first chicken quilt completion.


Wow! Who would have thought that a little chicken gift would come through such a long and arduous path?  Anyway, here it is: the final chicken quilt, finished and already on the way to its recipient.  I really love how it turned out, so bright and full of joy.  I didn’t realize how fun chickens were as a motif but I really got into the idea of it. 

This little quilt could be used as a pot holder, so I tried to make it washable.  It has a cotton batt and is 100% cotton.  I used a little binding trick that I like to use when I know something is going to be washed often.  Also, it is super quick.  I sew the binding to the front of the quilt as usual. Then I press the binding flat.  I press my quarter-inch seam allowance. I have a roll of the half-inch fusible tape that most people use as a quick fix for hems. I pull binding into the finished position, and slip a strip of the fusible web between the loose binding edge and the quilt.  I fuse it, and lastly sew through it.  If you are talented, you will line this all up, and catch the back perfectly sewing from the front in the ditch between the quilt and the binding. You can see from the photo that  I tried to sew from the front, and I missed in a few spots, so I had to flip it over and stitch those edges down again.


The URI to TrackBack this entry is:

RSS feed for comments on this post.

8 CommentsLeave a comment

  1. What an adorable chicken! You even managed to give her some movement; it looks like she is heading over to the feed trough for some corn!

    • Thank you. I had a lot of fun with it. I didn’t think of corn or feed. That’s a great idea as I finish up the other chickens.

  2. That is a cheerful looking chicken!

    • Thank you. I had a good time with it, and I have the other ones to work on now.

  3. […] have used this template on this tiny chicken quilt aka potholder and the country fried chicken quilt.  In fact, this is the back of a semi-finished chicken that […]

  4. […] I just don’t feel like it fits the person I am giving it to.  So I have already completed a third and final chicken quilt.  I love that one, too.  However, I can imagine it at the house of the person I want to give it […]

  5. The chicken quilt is adorable!!!!! LOVE IT!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: