Here it is – finished! Done and delivered to the bride and groom on their wedding weekend no less. Now, to come clean:
Yes, I was sewing in the car on the way to the wedding, but I was done by the time we got to St. Cloud so really only an hour and half: I had 7 more hours to spare.
Yes, I switched the numbers of my ufos for July to make sure I would get it finished in time. I have never done that before but drastic times call for drastic measures.
Anyway, when I was ready to add the batt and back, I did an internet search for satin quilts and found nothing, so I am putting my experience out there for what it worth. If you are thinking of making a satin quilt, reconsider. Most satin is not machine washable, and slips and slides quite a bit. If you really want to do it, using a paper piecing method like grandmother’s flowers pattern is actually a pretty successful way to use satin. The paper keeps it in place while it is being sewn together. When you are ready to baste your quilt sandwich together, do not use the iron on batt. It is impossible to get the iron hot enough with satin, and it shifts like nothing else. A better choice, (which I thought of after I had already done this one) is to pin at the intersections of the patchwork, this will help minimize any pin marks. I would also not leave the pins in very long, so try to immediately quilt. Otherwise, you could hand baste still in the intersections. I think I would also consider putting the top together using an old sheet as a lining, then adding the batt and back, or alternately using an old sheet on the top of the back and batt and securing that part before adding the top. I wonder if I would have had less slippage.
For grandmother’s flowers, as I said before, these can be put together more than one way, so if you are making a big lump of them, sew them together one by one, don’t sew them together several at a time.
I am happy with the way it turned out and my sister and her husband were really excited about it.
Here is one of my favorite picture of the bride.
The couple had each niece and nephew bring a flower to the front in memory of their grandparents.
Here is my sweet niece. She was so pretty and so helpful that day!
Here I am with my brother who was the groomsman who escorted me down the aisle.
Finally, after all the anticipation, the wedding! It was a beautiful wedding. Here’s the bride and groom.
Here’s the cool bridesmaids.
These were the beautiful centerpieces that my mom and sisters made. I helped assemble them at the church. Each one was unique.
And here is a snapshot of one of my contributions, the garters:
What a great time!
My neighbor just opened a little free library. Now, if you don’t know about this movement check out their website at Little Free Library. Essentially you buy or build a small box about the size of a bread box. Then it’s like the “leave a penny, take a penny”, but with books! In other words, if you see a book you like take it, return it if you like when you are done or put different one in.
Our neighbor had a little party with cookies and lemonade for the grand opening. Many neighbors came down to bring books and take books home. I traded Swiss Family Robinson and Eastern Mushrooms for Girl with a Pearl Earring and Trout Country. Steve also donated a copy of his book: How I met Van and Numan Future, Present and Past: Or my first impression of the future by So Cal Punk. It was a great evening of visiting with neighbors who are obviously readers!
It is supposed to get to 92 F here today. Hot! For that reason, and also because I’m not ready to show my WIP (not for long WIP) yet, I am not going to post much. For you that live near me:
Much, much progress. I feel pretty secure that this quilt will be done in July, just the binding left to sew. I was going to flip the flowers over the edge, but I am not happy with how that looks, so I will trim them and bind them.
It is easy to see the way the satin catches the light differently, the two darker panels are the same material as the lighter ones. Here is a better image:
It is shaping into a really beautiful piece, and I am excited to have a successful finish this month for a change!
For the fourth of July, we had a completely vegetarian dinner. The star of the show was borscht, french style. It turned out super sweet and with a beautiful ruby color. Here is Steve’s recipe:
3 medium beets, peeled
6 new potatoes
3-4 small carrots
1 cup purple cabbage
5-6 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons of wine vinegar
salt and pepper
Boil the vegetables until very tender. Discard the boiling liquid, put the vinegar and the vegetables including raw garlic into a food processor. This is your base. Taste it. Add salt and pepper. Pour the thick base into a sauce pan. Add good beef stock, chicken stock or vegetable stock, to thin the vegetable puree to the consistency of a thick soup. Garnish with a tablespoon or two sour cream for each bowl.
It was delicious – enjoy!
I am on my way. This picture is actually not up to date so I am farther that this already. July will be my lucky month!
Yes, it is not finished. <Sigh> Another one for 2013. It is somewhat closer to be finished but it has a long way to go.