Yes, I was sewing in the car on the way to the wedding, but I was done by the time we got to St. Cloud so really only an hour and half: I had 7 more hours to spare.
Yes, I switched the numbers of my ufos for July to make sure I would get it finished in time. I have never done that before but drastic times call for drastic measures.
Anyway, when I was ready to add the batt and back, I did an internet search for satin quilts and found nothing, so I am putting my experience out there for what it worth. If you are thinking of making a satin quilt, reconsider. Most satin is not machine washable, and slips and slides quite a bit. If you really want to do it, using a paper piecing method like grandmother’s flowers pattern is actually a pretty successful way to use satin. The paper keeps it in place while it is being sewn together. When you are ready to baste your quilt sandwich together, do not use the iron on batt. It is impossible to get the iron hot enough with satin, and it shifts like nothing else. A better choice, (which I thought of after I had already done this one) is to pin at the intersections of the patchwork, this will help minimize any pin marks. I would also not leave the pins in very long, so try to immediately quilt. Otherwise, you could hand baste still in the intersections. I think I would also consider putting the top together using an old sheet as a lining, then adding the batt and back, or alternately using an old sheet on the top of the back and batt and securing that part before adding the top. I wonder if I would have had less slippage.
For grandmother’s flowers, as I said before, these can be put together more than one way, so if you are making a big lump of them, sew them together one by one, don’t sew them together several at a time.
I am happy with the way it turned out and my sister and her husband were really excited about it.