December ufo wrapup

I did finish my December ufo in September: Paul’s quilt.


I am very pleased with it and showed it at my work.

I succeeding in finishing more than half my ufo projects: seven out of twelve!  Judy is changing her ufo challenge, so I will also be changing the way I do my thing.  Next week I will write a goal list for 2012.  I plan to start some new things and finish some old things.

Happy New Year!


trying to catch a little spring


I’m finally caught up with Christmas enough to do a little non-Christmas sewing.  I framed up these little flowers. I also ran all of the four patch blocks through the machine yesterday.  I love the way the amount of patchwork divides in half as you piece it, each time it is run through the machine only half as many seams are needed.  However, I am never really excited about those long seams at the end.

I am excited to see this come together, and I have a semi-clear trajectory for how I will put it together.  I will be doing a large scale quilt-as-I-go process and I am looking forward to that part once the four patch section is done.


So lots of thoughts have been whirling around my head. So much so that I am a little dizzy this morning (although that could also be that I drank a little too much wine last night and/or am still recovering from a sinus infection). I’m beginning to make vague plans for 2013 but part of me is rebelling and saying why are you making plans? Enjoy just doing without goals. It looks like Judy may be changing her ufo challenge. I have used that challenge as a spur to finish work for two years now, so that will be one change.  I did get a lot of work done before that challenge but I also had a lot of loose ends.

Here is another thing that makes my mind creaky and a little confused. I know I carefully counted all of the fronts of my wish quilts and the backs and cut the same number, yet I have way more stars than wishes. This makes me wonder if I have a pile of wishes stuck away some where. This thought leads to a vague remembering of sorting out my favorite wishes and setting them aside because they didn’t need further work. I’ve looked everywhere for those probably best wishes but I have not turned them up. Now, the ship has sailed for the best wishes, because I got my lesser wishes nearly done. Done is always a better wish than not done.  This is what Steve calls my chaos factor and I call my brain hurts slightly.  Does this ever happen to anyone else?

Speaking of Steve, guess who asked yesterday when we were going to put up the tree?  I told him, “HA!  You have to vacuum the Christmas tree corner and put up the tree because you lose the bet!”  He asked, what bet?  I said, “Aha!  You don’t read my whole blog you only mostly look at the pictures, and now because of that you have to vacuum the Christmas tree corner! Plus read old blogs all the way through until you find that blog.”

In any case, take care, all of you.  Friday proved that there is more evil in the world than any of us would want to believe.  It is certainly a time to pray.


wow- it’s been a while

Yes, it has been a whole week since I was here! I was sick these past few days, which made the craziness of Christmas even crazier.  I got very little done so I only have these small objects to show you:

DSC04374They are wish paper I made on my computer with stars cut out and paper put on the back.  Steve and I put recycled cards behind the cut out stars.  I think they turned out nice.  Now they need to be framed and put on card stock.

mock cathedral windows quilt – November ufo finished

Yes, I did it!

finished quiltI finished it, Friday, so I even actually finished it in November.  I am happy with it.  There is a small amount of pattern but it is not super rigid. In the end I added some brighter colors, notably yellow, green and orange that lightened it up a little.


Challenges:  Some of the blocks on the edge didn’t meet up perfectly and I have a little anxiety that  since none of the blocks overlap each other the structure of the quilt is highly dependent on thread.  If you make this quilt, it takes a huge amount of thread. Also, the last few seams are really difficult because of the weight and stiffness of the quilt.