Yes, I did it!
I finished it, Friday, so I even actually finished it in November. I am happy with it. There is a small amount of pattern but it is not super rigid. In the end I added some brighter colors, notably yellow, green and orange that lightened it up a little.
Challenges: Some of the blocks on the edge didn’t meet up perfectly and I have a little anxiety that since none of the blocks overlap each other the structure of the quilt is highly dependent on thread. If you make this quilt, it takes a huge amount of thread. Also, the last few seams are really difficult because of the weight and stiffness of the quilt.