busy

I have been super productive this week, or perhaps some projects that I have slowly incrementally been working on have come to a point where they are interesting to look at.

I am super glad to announce:  I finished mending the utility quilt!  It has been on my Get it done list for three months. This quilt was given to me by my uncle.  The quilt is special because was made by my grandmother.  It was beat up when we got it, and we used it hard. I can see on this quilt the incremental improvement of my sewing skills because I have mended it several times over the years.  I have two reasons for mending it so much: that my grandmother made it and that the back still is in one piece.

DSC04405

We got our tax money last week so I altered one of the two pairs of jeans I bought at Savers.  My singular pair of jeans that I have had for umpteen years were getting worn.  I am not much of a jean wearer, but people start to look at you strange at work if you don’t wear denim on casual Friday. Each pair was five dollars.  I love the dark indigo color. I liked how they fit me around the top, but the legs were too wide.  I am not a boot cut girl, having grown up in the eighties.  So I tightened the legs and they are much more form-fitting.  (By the way, if you want to see my video on how to do this it is: how to narrow jeans on you tube). I still need to hem them up one more time.

DSC04412

I also finished  quilting the first frame of the ducky quilt.  Hopefully, I will get it attached to the quilt today. Here is a close up of the flowers I quilted.  This is the back. Unfortunately, it is a little hard to see.

DSC04410

I also met with my friend, Veronica, and we began actual work (not planning or shopping) on our Caribbean Friendship Quilt.  Right now, I am working on two group projects, (one is a secret surprise).  This is a new way for me to work so I am hoping I learn a lot about my process.  Below is a build up of the first applique (not complete) of a purple tropical flower.  For this block we used a technique I learned from Sewing with Nancy on PBS.  It is from the fusible Art quilt series.  You put fusible web on the back of your fabric, peel the release paper. Cut each piece of the design and reassemble on the release paper ironing as the applique is layered.  The applique can then be peeled away as a unit.

DSC04403

Here is our inspiration from Andre Gunther photography:

Blue Flowe - Maui - Hawaii

I think we have good start and I’m excited to work on it.  I think it will be more like a quilt of tiny quilts, each very detailed but joined together.

Wow! A lot going on.

 

Advertisements

The URI to TrackBack this entry is: https://aprilsewingjournal.wordpress.com/2013/03/17/busy/trackback/

RSS feed for comments on this post.

2 CommentsLeave a comment

  1. Love the enthusiasm…..great post.

    • Thank you- It was a really productive week. Thanks for visiting!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: