I am still working on mending the t-shirt quilt. The mending is so full-scale that some parts had to be cut out or completely covered. The main part of the quilt’s back was so worn that I needed to cover the whole thing. I didn’t want to spend money on it, plus I am going through a rather dry spell due to the new expenses of high school and so many birthdays. So I took Steve shopping in the fabric stash. He picked out two flannel shirts: one orange and one yellow, an old pink- red blouse and a plaid seersucker shirt. I was not certain that they would work together. However, this is his quilt so I went with it.
But if you saw all these plaids together would you believe they are a good fit? Yet they work surprisingly well. I should know better than to doubt the artist’s eye.
We had received a couple sweaters from my friend, Patti. The color and material were nice. They were men’s sweaters but huge. Paul said he liked this oatmeal colored one. So, I measured the boy across his chest and around his arms and then drew those lines on the sweater.
You can see Paul’s measurements sketch on the left bottom.
I carefully trimmed off the ribbing from the bottom of the sweater to save it intact.
Then I cut to my measurements.
I just trimmed the sleeves, so I didn’t have to mess with the ribbing.
Here is the finished sweater on the awesome 9th grade GQ model- ready for high school.
On Wednesday, I received a mysterious package from my sister. Inside was this beautiful set:
A matching necklace, bracelet and earrings. I love it! Every bead is different and beautiful. I wore the set twice last week. It matches so many things I already have- this skirt in particular has the exact same colors!
Thanks again, Becky!
There’s been a lot going on here. This boy went to the first day of ninth grade two weeks ago. I wish I had stood next to him for scale. He has had a great couple of weeks. This weekend was his birthday – he is now 15 years old! Time goes so fast- as my friend says- I shouldn’t call him a boy anymore rather a young man.
I guess I haven’t said but I have been thinking that quilt is called the landscape quilt. Mainly because of the colors and the horizontal orientation.
I put this quilt into four patches. Then I spent last weekend laying out the squares.
I just didn’t like it no matter how I arranged it. There was too much going on. What bothered me the most were the green and white stripes which were just too garish or Christmassy. So after much thought, I dyed them.
I put together a dye wash and painted the parts I didn’t like. I wrapped them up in plastic bags and left them overnight to process.
Of course, I over estimated how much I needed. So I had a jar full of activated dye, so picked up a few pieces of random fabric that I thought would be much improved by dying.
I just pushed the fabric down and turned the jar a little bit to get the dye to come partway up the sides. In the end, the dye saturated all layers.
I was very happy with how the patches turned out. It was enough of a change to tone down the white stripes. I wonder if my dye is getting old or if I need to use some urea to make the color a little more intense. That being said for this quilt it is perfect.
My “jar” fabric also turned out great. Unfortunately, I can’t show you a before picture, but here is the after:
The dots, hearts and stripes are a light blue. It makes this fabric less Christmassy, less garish. I have already put together some of the patches so my goal is to have the top done by next weekend.