This is a little shag rug that my grandmother had made. I have had it for many years since she died in 1988. The back is burlap and it had ripped. I was not willing to give it up. I needed a sturdy piece of fabric to reinforce it.
As they say, there is lid for every pot. This rather ugly, but extremely sturdy fabric my friend Patti gave me a while ago that she picked up in a give away pile, was perfect.
Since I had my Bernina set up to finish the landscape quilt, I pulled out this old White sewing machine to finish the rug. My mom gave me this sewing machine a few years ago for just this situation when I have my other machine set up for a specific project. It was also my grandmother’s so it really brought back memories.
I finished the rug-although I was reminded several times why I bought the Bernina while working with this machine. Since it had been too fragile to wash before, I had rug washing day and washed all of my handmade rugs.
As you can see, my next mending job may be this hand-woven rug I made in college. Not quite as ancient as the shag rug from my grandmother, it is still older than my fifteen year old son.
On another note, I have been steadily working on a denim leader ender:
It went together almost without effort when I was putting the landscape quilt together. I already have some polar fleece for the back.
Yesterday, I finished quilting the landscape quilt. I did a very simple quilting- just wavy lines across. It really adds to the landscape feeling of this quilt by continuing the horizontal nature of the patchwork. I am really happy with it and hopefully I will finish adding the hearts and the edge next week.
On another note, I decided to get a jump on Christmas by making these little ornaments. I hopefully will be more proactive to make some little gifts this year.
I used a quilted fabric for the base then added the red fabric to make the shape. I have to figure out how to back and edge finish it.
I looked back and I never posted this skirt. I bought the fabric for a birthday present. I spent a lot of time on it because of the plaid. I sewed it, then ripped it out completely and then hand basted it together to get the plaid to match, well not exactly, but close enough.
I finished the back of the landscape quilt last weekend. Of course, I bought too little fabric. Because it takes more effort to go back to the fabric store, I added some blocks and other batik fabric.
Things are moving slowly- almost glacially. There is a lot going on this weekend so it seems I have very little time. Also I got a new game: Settlers of Cataan which I am completely and utterly obsessed with. In any case, I have only completed a small bit of sewing. I managed to get the back quilted on this quilt.
The quilting is minimal because the piece is already quilted. I just wanted to avoid any sort of tenting.
Hopefully, tomorrow I will get a little more done.