For many years, I have been very interested in The Alabama Stitch book by Natalie Chanin. I finally began to work on the projects. The pattern I first decided to try was the corset. Here is my first attempt:
I am very happy about this one. It fits very well and it is very flattering. I had a little trouble with how low-cut it is. I shortened the straps by quite a bit, and it is still a little immodest for me.
Now this attempt was not as successful for several reasons. I used a more stretchy fabric. Chanin recommends using cotton jersey of a heavy weight. This was a microfiber for exercising in. I also sewed most of the corset by machine. For this reason, even though I did the pre-basting, I had a good amount of stretching. I simply had to add a modesty panel, which then gapped. So finally, I added elastic. In the end, I kind of like it even though it is not exactly Chanin’s vision.
I am extremely happy with my third attempt. I dyed these two t-shirts and used them to make one corset. I sewed it completely by hand. For size XL, it takes more than one man sized t-shirt to make one camisole. I shortened the straps by about a half inch and added about an inch to the top of the front center pane. This is creates a more modest neck line for me. I love the effect of the pattern of the original t-shirt on the front.
So all in all, it is a very flattering pattern figure-wise. It is very easy to put together although it is most successful when it is hand stitched. It took about 2 hours to put together (outside of dying), but it was very pleasant easy sewing. I did it after dinner. I will make it again definitely.