Finally, I am getting back to quilting. For some time I have been considering my triangle template. Lately, I haven’t been very inspired. Last weekend I spent some time cleaning my sewing area. I was putting a big bin of small pieces of fabric away. I realized I had filled my blue bin. I decided then to start a blue quilt. Here is the result:
I am not sure if I want to work with these in stars as pictures or in a random/landscape way. In any case, it feels good to start a new project!
I have been very busy. Last weekend, we went camping in Wisconsin to bike the Sparta – Elroy trail. We had a great time. Paul rode 45 miles and I rode 26 miles, each a personal best. The tunnels were great. It was neat experience to go in them, a little eerie, and really unusual. So, life intervenes again. No new projects today.
I am now working through a great book I bought called Alabama Studio Sewing and Design: A Guide to Hand-Sewing an Alabama Chanin Wardrobe. The pattern I tried was the bolero.
I am very happy with this pattern. If you remember the corset I made that matches this bolero, I used two men’s size t-shirts. I had enough extra to make this matching bolero. I wasn’t sure how useful the bolero would be, but since we have had few chilly days, I have used it quite a bit, much the way I would use a scarf.
There were a few things I struggled with. First, the sleeves have quite a bit of ease. Chanin recommends putting them together flat, I did it in the round. I will try it flat next time.
Also, the binding. She recommends sewing through all layers at once. I found this difficult and it made my stitches uneven. Instead I bound it much like I would bind a quilt. I sewed the binding to the wrong side, then brought it around the edge and sewed the right side. This gave me much better stitch quality on the outside and a firmer bind.
I would also suggest to think about the binding at the garment cutting stage so you have longer pieces. I did quite a bit of piecing for the binding and it made it a little less nice.
Just like the corset, the fit is very flattering. It is especially nice with the matching corset. I had fun using the different colored fabrics for different parts to create a subtle color blocking. I definitely will make it again.
I have been working on a robe for a long time. I call it the multi-plaid robe because I used four different plaids. I love it- although everyone I showed laughed at it. It is super warm and comfortable. I used McCalls 6231. This is a super easy pattern. I am not happy with the fit. The fit issues have to do with it being a men’s robe pattern, so next time I make one, I will get a new pattern. Still, I am happy to have a second robe so I don’t have to go without when I am washing my other one. I hope it make you smile today!