new corset top

 

I finished another one of the kits I created to go on the trip a few weeks ago. I really like it, but my husband and my son insist it is not flattering.

DSC04969

I actually think I just need something better to wear with it. I may over dye it to create more unity. Here is the back:

DSC04970

So after finishing this one, I started on my next kit. This is a long sleeve bolero. I plan to strip piece the sleeves. Once I started on it, Steve said it should be a skirt:

DSC04971

I like this idea so I will cut out a base for skirt to be striped like this one.  If I wear it all together, it will be completely crazy, but as individual pieces they will be really fun.

 

Published in: on August 31, 2014 at 9:18 am  Comments (2)  
Tags: , ,

Changes

Changes for sure. School starting tomorrow the big sophomore. When I say big, I mean it literally. Look at the size of the great shoes he picked for his new school shoes.

DSC04966

I do remember in 1987 having very similar shoes. I think I got them at Kmart for 2.50. I won’t say how much these were but they weren’t 2.50. Teenagers are expensive. These were worth it by how much they make me smile.

So other big changes: the big boy is turning 21 tomorrow. I told my husband that we had been married a whole grown man time. Then I thought: my parents have been married a whole 45-year-old woman time.

He has begun packing:

DSC04967

Quite a treasure trove. I will miss him, but his happiness is infectious, I am starting to get excited to help him move next week.

 

Published in: on August 24, 2014 at 2:56 pm  Leave a Comment  
Tags: , , ,

bolero

I just got back from a long trip to my mom and dad’s.   I had a great time first at my parent’s house and then at a big family reunion.  We had a good time fishing and hanging out with my dad.  At the reunion, it was wonderful to see everyone and catch up.   We also had a rousing game of kick ball which has left me still walking a little funny.

 

It is a 10 hour drive each way so I made up 4 kits a la Alabama Stitch book to work on in the car. The first one was this little bolero which I made to match the little tank top I made a few weeks ago. It took me most of the trip but I am very pleased with it.

DSC04962

Here is a close up of the beaded edge.

DSC04964

I am very happy with it. I am excited to start on my other three kits. Now I can position one on the porch and another up in my bedroom while I am watching TV.

 

sewing story

Again, I am working on such slow path, I don’t have new work to show. Instead I will tell you this sewing related story.

I had found a great dresser at the church garage sale. I lined up a ride for the dresser because it was too large for my car. In the mean tine, I began to clean out a corner to put the dresser in. I had a old sewing table upstairs that I put my sewing machine in sometimes.

I started carrying it down the stairs and I remembered there was a young man downstairs who was very strong. I asked him to help me and he somewhat resentfully came to help me. He easily picked up the table and started carrying it down the stairs. He took about two steps and I saw a pin cushion fall out from the interior of the table on, of course, the next step. “Stop!” I yelled. This is when time went into slow motion as I watched my son’s foot come down on the pin cushion.

Do these things happen to any one else? I felt so bad. He was mad at me for two days. Luckily, when we actually went over the church to look at the dresser again and found out it was too large to go up the stairs, he didn’t realize that the two things were related.

Published in: on August 10, 2014 at 8:24 am  Comments (2)  
Tags: ,

new Alabama stitch project

I finished another Alabama Stitch Project top. This is the fitted top from Alabama Studio Sewing + Design. This garment, as with all the other ones I have made, fits perfectly. I will say that if you have little belly like me, this garment does not hide the belly at all. I am doing some sit ups.

big

 

 

I made this little decorative pattern down the front. I initially had red cross stitches down the front. Somehow they weren’t right so I ripped them out. I wanted two things, first to make it a little fancy, and also to add to the strength of the seam.  I added a running stitch in gray holding down the seam allowance on each side. I tried to make the stitches parallel to each other. Then I added a flat bead in the center and made an x, with each edge of the x touching one of the running stitch.  It is very pretty and still sturdy.

 

I am making a matching bolero and fingerless gloves which I will decorate with the same pattern.

 

Published in: on August 3, 2014 at 9:36 am  Comments (2)  
Tags: , , ,