This fabric has been with me for a long time. This is a group of Steve’s Hawaiian shirts. He hardly ever wears this type of thing, but because he was born in Hawaii, he has an attachment to Hawaiian things. Initially, I sewed cut them up and sewed them together randomly. This was not successful. Then I made a muslin dress base. I cut them up more randomly and sewed them on to that base. This was also not successful.
The dress hung on my design wall for some time. Then, I machine quilted across the large sections in one inch parallel lines. Other parts I sewed together and then ironed to fusible interface. Then, I cut them up into 9 inch squares. Here is the results:
I have many ideas how to put these together including putting them on point. I haven’t done this before so there will be some math required. I very pleased with the outcome. Even though we really don’t have any use for another quilt, Steve has called it for himself. He has a pretty valid claim since they were his shirts.
The bolero is done. It took a lot of time but I am very happy with the way it turned out.
The sleeves are really over the top! They are a cross between Carmen Miranda and Dr. Seuss.
What I learned about with this one:
I used different colors for the lining on the sleeves. Since they were going to be completely covered, it didn’t seem important. However, the bottom edge does show slightly. Next time I will be more intentional about the lining.
The double layer of t-shirt is surprisingly warm.
The pattern for the sleeves is very large. It is difficult to get two sleeves out a t-shirt unless it is an extra large. For this reason, I trimmed a small amount of the ease off. This didn’t affect the fit at all for me.
I was out-of-town this weekend. I had a great time visiting my family and seeing my adorable nieces and nephews. In any case, I do not have anything to share with you of my own work. However, I was given a lovely gift, that I happened to have the perfect place between my design walls. I also already know what I will use it for.
Thanks, Mom, Becky and Jenny. It was great to see you all!
Here is an update on the jean quilt for S. It is coming together well, although S wants a little more dark, so I may still make some changes.