I have made great progress on my UFO:
I have solved the problem of the disk. I integrated it by adding a thin strip of fabric around it. Now it is partially surrounded, and even more dimensional. I trimmed the edges and I will add some fabric to make the quilt into a rectangle.
I did some stitching on the cardboard sections. There is definitely more to be done there. I also need to go out into the cold freezer that is my sewing room and root around for a specific fabric that has a feather motif for the wings. They are just too flat. Still, good progress.
On another front, I have added the first run of the green to the Hawaiian quilt. The muted green is perfect. It will really create dimension and reminds me of the ocean or water.