The bears have their frames, next up the decision on how to bring them all together into one quilt.  I had one really nice lay out, but the quilt ends up being orientated landscape. Whenever I make a quilt with a landscape layout it always seams a little wrong.

I really wanted to frame the embroidery to showcase them. I am proud that, unusual for me, I made samples to make the decision of what color ought frame the little bears without overwhelming them.  I settled on the lavender/blue fabric that is shown above framing the bears and below to the far right.  This is different palette for me, usually I love bright colors, especially for baby quilts.  All of my primary color samples overshadowed the delicate embroidery.

 

I have used only stash fabric for this quilt so far.  For the blue, I had exactly enough; I only had to piece one little strip at the very end.  I was holding my breath while I sewed the last set.  Someone must be watching over me (is it Lou?), because I have had that fabric for a while and it would have been difficult to match.

The blue quilt is now officially a flimsy, ready for quilting. Steve calls it “homey” and I guess it is with its unusual mix of fabric.  It is a real stash quilt with every blue and green fabric in my stash in it. It really glowed when I photographed it.

 

We had to go down to Burnsville, so on the way I ran into the new SR Harris and picked up this lovely for the back:

 

It captures all the colors of the quilt and will hide a multitude of flaws in my quilting.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s