The bears have their frames, next up the decision on how to bring them all together into one quilt. I had one really nice lay out, but the quilt ends up being orientated landscape. Whenever I make a quilt with a landscape layout it always seams a little wrong.
I really wanted to frame the embroidery to showcase them. I am proud that, unusual for me, I made samples to make the decision of what color ought frame the little bears without overwhelming them. I settled on the lavender/blue fabric that is shown above framing the bears and below to the far right. This is different palette for me, usually I love bright colors, especially for baby quilts. All of my primary color samples overshadowed the delicate embroidery.
I have used only stash fabric for this quilt so far. For the blue, I had exactly enough; I only had to piece one little strip at the very end. I was holding my breath while I sewed the last set. Someone must be watching over me (is it Lou?), because I have had that fabric for a while and it would have been difficult to match.
The blue quilt is now officially a flimsy, ready for quilting. Steve calls it “homey” and I guess it is with its unusual mix of fabric. It is a real stash quilt with every blue and green fabric in my stash in it. It really glowed when I photographed it.
We had to go down to Burnsville, so on the way I ran into the new SR Harris and picked up this lovely for the back:
It captures all the colors of the quilt and will hide a multitude of flaws in my quilting.
This summer has been busy mostly good some bad…in any case as usual sewing is my relaxation and joy and escape. I am not so good this summer at documenting what I have been up to. I have been slowly working on this blue quilt in the background, cutting squares while watching tv, sewing and pressing. I have finished a few blocks now and feel like I am on the down hill, at least with the top.
The fabric already is infused with memory. A friend at work gave me the Christmas and snowflake fabric, the blue flowers are from my aunt.
The butterfly fabric on this one is from my niece’s quilt, and the little all over flower on the bottom right is my from my aunt.
I have fabric from my grandmother on the Porter side, too, but those blocks aren’t done. It feels good to move forward, and as I remind myself- every time I sew them together, my number of seams halves.
I have started to follow Sew Slowly. She just posted about some holes she is putting in her top. This is very intriguing to me. I love the way that quilts wear, so I love the idea of holes in a quilt top. She has pretty clear photos of what she is doing. She is hand working her quilt. I decided to use her technique but by machine.
Here is a nice four patch that did not line up the way I would like. I prepared a square quite a bit larger than my intended hole with my stitch line already marked.
Then, I stitched around the circle and cut out the center. I then heavily clipped the seam allowance.
Then turn to the back.
Here is the finished front:
Now to decide what should go in the hole.
I am starting another new quilt- this one blue. I already have quite a bit cut. I am using my new 10.5 ruler as the guide. The finished blocks will all be this size. I cut squares that will add up to a finished size of 10.5. I am excited to see how this one comes together.