Now back to our regularly scheduled program

Finally, I am getting back to quilting. For some time I have been considering my triangle template. Lately, I haven’t been very inspired. Last weekend I spent some time cleaning my sewing area. I was putting a big bin of small pieces of fabric away. I realized I had filled my blue bin. I decided then to start a blue quilt. Here is the result:

DSC04955

I am not sure if I want to work with these in stars as pictures or in a random/landscape way.  In any case, it feels good to start a new project!

Published in: on July 27, 2014 at 8:15 am  Leave a Comment  
Tags: , , ,

block kits

My husband grew up in a small family, I grew up in a big family. I eat quickly. He eats slowly. This is not good for my waistline because if food is in front of me, I will tend to continue to eat. For this reason, I have been making little hand sewing quilt block kits to give myself something to do while he finishes eating.

Here are some of them. The first one is storm at sea.
DSC04826

I am excited to see this block set together because it gives the impression of curves without any curved seams.

This next one I am really having fun with: a bear paw with an actual bear inside it.

DSC04824

This quilt is really interesting and fun.  I only have the vaguest idea of where it going, so I know the trip will be great!

Published in: on January 26, 2014 at 8:15 am  Leave a Comment  
Tags: , , ,

Ocean blue

Lazy, lazy weekend. I took an extra day which gave me energy to do a little dyeing. I am making a wilderness landscape and I wanted fish in the little pond. But the fish fabric I bought had a white background. I decided to dye it blue.
DSC04818

I used a Dylon dye in Ocean Blue.  I will tell you when I mixed I freaked a little because the dye bath looked purple!  But I already had it mixed, so I soldiered ahead. I was happy in the end with the results.

You can tell from the mottled end result that I did not mix the fabric as it was in the bath at all.  I also added some miscellaneous fabric that I had lying around also:

DSC04822

And this embroidered fabric:

DSC04820

I have no idea how I will use it but it really came out beautifully.

I know I running late today, but I have the Walking Dead Season 3 out from the library.  I must retire now to the zombie apocalypse.

Published in: on January 19, 2014 at 2:17 pm  Leave a Comment  
Tags: , , , ,

landscape quilt and Christmas begins

DSC04726

Yesterday, I finished quilting the landscape quilt.  I did a very simple quilting- just wavy lines across.  It really adds to the landscape feeling of this quilt by continuing the horizontal nature of the patchwork.  I am really happy with it and hopefully I will finish adding the hearts and the edge next week.

On another note, I decided to get a jump on Christmas by making these little ornaments.  I hopefully will be more proactive to make some little gifts this year. 

DSC04729

I used a quilted fabric for the base then added the red fabric to make the shape.  I have to figure out how to back and edge finish it.

not so new skirt plus bonus

I looked back and I never posted this skirt.  I bought the fabric for a birthday present.  I spent a lot of time on it because of the plaid. I sewed it, then ripped it out completely and then hand basted it together to get the plaid to match, well not exactly, but close enough.

 DSC04725

I finished the back of the landscape quilt last weekend.  Of course, I bought too little fabric. Because it takes more effort to go back to the fabric store, I added some blocks and other batik fabric.

DSC04723

 

Published in: on October 13, 2013 at 8:23 am  Comments (1)  
Tags: , , , , ,

landscape quilt

I guess I haven’t said but I have been thinking that quilt is called the landscape quilt.  Mainly because of the colors and the horizontal orientation.

I put this quilt into four patches.  Then I spent last weekend laying out the squares.

DSC04683

I just didn’t like it no matter how I arranged it.  There was too much going on.  What bothered me the most were the green and white stripes which were just too garish or Christmassy.  So after much thought, I dyed them.

DSC04687

I put together a dye wash and painted the parts I didn’t like.  I wrapped them up in plastic bags and left them overnight to process.

Of course, I over estimated how much I needed.  So I had a jar full of activated dye, so picked up a few pieces of random fabric that I thought would be much improved by dying.

DSC04689

I just pushed the fabric down and turned the jar a little bit to get the dye to come partway up the sides.  In the end, the dye saturated all layers.

DSC04691

I was very happy with how the patches turned out. It was enough of a change to tone down the white stripes.  I wonder if my dye is getting old or if I need to use some urea to make the color a little more intense. That being said for this quilt it is perfect.

DSC04692

My “jar” fabric also turned out great. Unfortunately, I can’t show you a before picture, but here is the after:

DSC04694

The dots, hearts and stripes are a light blue.  It makes this fabric less Christmassy, less garish.  I have already put together some of the patches so my goal is to have the top done by next weekend.